Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-3

Re: <amarc-3> Section I of the Declaration

Hello Mark,

I don't want to make a big fuss about the question of limitations to
freedom of expression, but I think freedom of expression should not be
considered a right above everything else.
I don't believe you can skip that question by just giving some examples.
First, you cannot have treaties on expression and access to
communication as a human right separated, isolated from other human
rights. I would e.g. be strongly opposed to see a radio station like
Radio Milles Collines be able to invoke whatever right to free
expression to launch campaigns that DIRECTLY lead to massacres.
Second (re:A) The fact that "Governments are rarely representative of
the population of a country,.." does by no means invalidate that. The
law in general is precisely supposed to avoid absolutist, totally
arbitrary actions, mainly by governments. The fact that many governments
do not abide by the law doesn't make the law wrong. On the contrary we
can precisely point to governments because they do not respect the law,
because we have a standard to apply to them, in cases of freedom of
expression as in others.
Three (re B) I think your examples miss the point. They do not really
concern freedom of expression (only) and neither the Taliban nor
Pinochet invoked the limitations (which are very clearly defined) of
international human rights law.
Four (re: C) " If something is libelous, the answer is not to ban but
prosecute for untruths. Similarly, direct  incitement to commit a
criminal act is something very different from "hate speech'".
Completely agree.
"I do not believe that 'freedom of expression creates ethnic tensions',
these arise from concrete economic & historical factors; although 'hate
speech' can maintain or exacerbate such tensions, the answer is to face
& deal with the underlying problems, not the symptoms."
Totally agree.
What is prohibited by international law is precisely this: hate speech
appealing to act, to kill, racial discrimination, etc. again: it's
defined in the different treaties. In other words it doesn't cover
appeals to support your cricket team because that's true English
culture, but it does cover paedophile web sites or Mille Collines'
appeal to kill people according to broadcast lists.
I think we serve best the freedom of speech (right to access is not
concerned here) if we do not "absolutize" it.

Sections II and III. Very good. Maybe step up in the list all those
points that imply direct, material, financial support. Because that's
what will make a difference, if anything; I doubt that the big
communication giants will agree to renounce to more than some crumbs.

Maybe the difficulty of including children's broadcast is that one would
have to mention many other specific categories..

Regards

Roland