Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

RE: <amarc-1> Introduction

> The average Australian (though I think it's a global phenomenon) does
> not want to watch programming on complex social and political
> issues.  I think the reasons lie largely with an education system
> which has failed to enthuse or stimulate the majority  of
> Australian youth who are from socially and intellectually
> disadvantaged groups.

I think Maggie's point is one that we too often chose to ignore.  Given
a choice between idiotic sitcoms and more meaningful television fare,
90-some percent of the population opts for the idiotic sitcoms.  We can
only hope that "media literacy" approaches that encourage not only
skepticism but selective viewing will change this somewhat.  The
commercial sector is just too efficient at giving people what they want,
and we see the results in not only too much time in front of the TV set,
but a variety of subsequent problems -- a consumer-oriented lifestyle,
lack of physical activity, a diet that resembles TV commercials, and
just plain mindlessness.  Meanwhile the non-commercial sector is too
invested in pushing culture and education down people's throats.  To me,
the alternative of populist-produced television is just too lacking in
production quality or consideration of audience needs to offer much of
an alternative.  But perhaps we can provoke the discussion...

Mike Basil
University of Denver