Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

Re: <amarc-1> Brazil and Puerto Rico

Thanks to Carlos for taking the time to insert such worthwhile and
valuable information about the status of the Brazilian Telecom sale.
Very depressing, which set me to wondering what the U.S. Government
would be willing to sell to service it's debt for a few months or even a
few days - which begs the question  of why it is never pushed into that
position. Meanwhile the workers of Bell Atlantic (a major telecom
provider that gobbled up NYNEX last year) are out on strike. What is one
of their major issues? The forty hour work week! It seems overtime is
mandatory for workers at this highly profitable telecom. In spite of the
legacy of workers revolts throughout the turn of century, those brave
souls who fought and died for 'our' rights (like the 40 hour week) have
been long since forgotten in the high stakes rush on the global
competition boardgame. Today's new Neoliberal Pinkertons no longer carry
guns or nightsticks, just laptops.  That's all it takes to bring a
developing country to it's knees and force it to divest public resources
to refinance the national debt. By the time this obscene mess shakes out
none of us may have phone service that works much less food.

>Recently, this same government rescued misdeeds of the big Brazilian
>bankers to the tune of more than 10 billion dollars...

I'm afraid it just gets worse, today I heard Mexico was forced to outdo
this figure for the misdeeds of its own white collar banking criminals
(three of which are on the Forbes 200 list of the richest people in the
world).

Viva Marcos!

Michael
--
Paper Tiger Television
339 Lafayette Street                       fax: (212) 420-8223