Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-3

RE: <amarc-3> Section I of the Declaration

Hi Mark,

I would like to add a few more points to what Roland has already explained
re freedom of expression. Coming from Burma where merely mentioning the word
"human rights" can send one to 3 years or more in prison I know how
important it is to have such rights. I also condemn the acts of "governments
(and groups)" who use force labor, oppress their political opponents and
ill-treat women in the name of cultural relativism. I also do not believe
that freedom of expression just creates racial tensions.   However, I  feel
sad when children are verbally abused and spit at school because they do not
belong to the dominant majority group in a society. I also find it difficult
to understand why a small political party, who find the idea of
"multiculturalism" counterproductive to their society, could swoop up a
large number of seats in the recent Queensland elections. Perhaps these
problems may seem insignificant to those who believe in "absolute" freedom
of expression when these cases are a small price to pay for a freedom that
all should cherish.

The way most of the minority groups in Australia are reacting to the
irresponsible views expressed by One Nation party, I doubt if they would
want to endorse "absolute" freedom of expression. In the same context, let
me quote one of the Singaporean students whom I interviewed for my phd
research: "This county (Australia) is not fragile. They can say `lowest
color of human spectrum' (to a minority group). Next day no riots. People in
elected office can say this and life just goes on the next day. But if you
have one MP saying this, the next day there will be riots in Singapore and
we don't  have the space for that." I am not simply picking out this quote
to argue my point. I have interviewed seventy Singpaorean and Malaysian
students re their views on human rights. I found most of them acknowledging
the lack of political freedom in their countries to varying degrees. What I
also found interesting is that all of my respondents, without a single
exception, said that as far as racial issues are concerned absolute freedom
of speech and expression should not be allowed. Although 70 Singpaorean and
Malaysian students do not  represent the whole population of Singapore and
Malaysia, their views should not be ignored.

My argument, therefore, is that freedom of expression is very important, but
it should come with certain responsibilities (This includes governments who
abuse people's civil and political rights for their own vested interests.)
How to set a standard and how to negotiate the meaning of freedom is
something to be worked out between people from all walks of life from all
societies, and not just from one end of the world where the Fifth Amendment
Right is a constitutional right. I think this is also in accordance with one
of the themes of this conference, that is, to set up mechanisms for
"democratic communication"  which allows all people to communicate with each
other so that each understand the social reality of the other and work for
the benefit of all across the globe.

Best,

San San