Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

Re: <amarc-1> Introductions

>My name is Jose Antonio Mayobre and I am a Venezuelan communicator living
>in Caracas, where I teach at the School of Mass Communication in the
<snip>
>unnecessary. How to defend ourselves, our heritage, self-interests and
>culture without at the same time sounding paranoid and closing ourselves
>from the thinking of others is , I think, one of the first and major
>challenges we face and I'll be dammed if I have any idea how to go about
>it or where to start. So, basically, I ask for your help and offer to

or where to start" in relation to cultural imperialism vs splendid isolation:
It seems to me that human beings are like bower birds who "borrow" from
each other and imitate when it suits them as individuals and groups. Rich
cultures have indeed been lost to the world and the extinction of animal
species is at the moment happening at an alarming rate. I don't think any
single individual feels suufficiently empowered to address the corruption
and exploitation that is so in evidence everywhere, but by teaching and
questioning and speaking up when we can collectively we can influence
others to think about the issues more deeply, and that's the best we can
do. Single snowflakes make an avalanche. As individuals it is also
important that we keep our personal stories of family and events alive by
talking to our children and turning our backs to commercial media and the
constant emphasis on material possessions to denote one's place in the
world.

Gerri Marston
Communications Management
Suite 2/49 Keppel STreet