Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

Re: <amarc-1> Introductions -Reply

Although most of the material on commercial television in Australia is
American sitcom, police chases and "drama", we also have an ABC which has
more Australian and BBC content. There has been a long and ongoing struggle
by commercial interests to infest the ABC but it is something of an
Australian icon and the masses would revolt although it takes a lot to get
Aussies to storm bastilles.

We also have SBS, the Special Broadcasting Service, which is a response to
the needs and activism of our multicultural population. It broadcasts films
and programmes from all over the world which are usually subtitled in
English. SBS used to also have the best and truly international news
broadcasts but recently they have moved to an early 5pm one hour "News"
which comes from the US  and is more of the same. We were bombarded with
the OJ Simpson trial and now tthe mysteries of DNA testing and Monica
Lewinsky's dress. As if anyone really cares, except perhaps Hilary.

I must agree with Flora about the dictates of the corporate world. The only
hope is to change thee agenda of the corporations from within which in our
own small way our Company tries to do. A scary scenario is outlined in
David Korten's "When Corporations Rule the World" but his earlier book
"Getting to the 21st Century" is more hopeful and stresses the vital role
of NGO's. Another matter for concern is the Multilateral Agreement on
Investment (there's quite a lot of discussion on the net about the MIA) Its
likely impact on globalisation and "development" makes for sobering reading.

Just a few random thoughts. Cheers, Lyn

Gerri Marston
Communications Management
Suite 2/49 Keppel STreet