Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

Re: <amarc-1> Intro - Steve Ahern, Australia

     Hello all,

     My name is Steve Ahern. I am a lecturer at Australia's national
     broadcast training institution, the Australian Film TV & Radio School
     (AFTRS).

     My background is as a radio reporter/announcer/producer in all radio
     sectors (community, commercial and public) for over twenty years.
     During that time I have been involved in training many community
     broadcasters in Australia and other countries and developing training
     models. I was manager of several radio stations for the Australian
     Broadcasting Corporation for over ten years. Since moving to the AFTRS
     I have been involved in a national broadcasting school consultancy in
     South Africa and training for the community, commercial and public
     sectors here in Australia, so my viewpoint encompasses all sectors and
     many countries.

     I am interested in issues of access and sustainability in existing and
     emerging broadcast technologies and have spoken at various conferences
     about my findings on volunteerism, access and new media.

     I believe that the two issues of access and sustainability are crucial
     to the continuation of democratic media participation. Some thoughts:

     ACCESS & TRAINING:
     Access and the provision of appropriate training go together.
     Providing access alone is not enough to properly empower people to use
     the media. Training must be fundamentally linked to access, otherwise
     broadcasters will not get their messages across and there will be no
     listeners. Skills training can be separated from ideology if properly
     taught, so that `training' does not just become 'brainwashing'.

     In Australia (and in other countries) we have volunteer fire fighters
     and volunteer legal aid lawyers, etc. No one would dream of sending
     out volunteer fire fighters or legal aid workers without proper
     training - why would we want to do it for radio?  So, in my view,
     developing appropriate training that does not stifle views, but does
     teach people how to communicate via radio, is essential for
     empowerment in the sector.

     SUSTAINABILITY:

     Sustainability of community media is also an important issue. It is
     certainly getting cheaper to run radio stations and associated
     internet broadcasts for much less cost than in the past - thus
     breaking down the access and ongoing barriers that used to require
     huge amounts of investment capital - so there are more stations. But
     are there more volunteers and contributors?   In my view,
     sustainability of volunteers is also an important issue to consider in
     conjunction with sustainability of the station as an entity.  In
     countries like Australia there is a strong volunteer sector because
     there are social services (like unemployment benefit payments) that
     allow you to survive (just!) without paid work, but in many other
     countries there are no such social services so volunteerism and the
     ability to contribute to community access media is limited, because
     people have to put first priority on earning money to survive.

     So any lobbying for community media funding should, in my view, take
     into account the ability to sustain volunteers with funding of some
     kind. Without that, access is not real access, it is just access for
     people who can afford it. I also think that Government/NGO funding
     should not be the only source of funding for community media and that
     there are countries that are developing good models of accessing some
     commercial funding without compromising their integrity.

     I hope those points are of use in the general discussion.

     Ciao,
     Steve Ahern