Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

<amarc-1> Australian Indigenous Introduction.

Greetings from the Southern Hemisphere. I write from the National Indigenous Media Association of Australia (NIMAA) which is the peak national body for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander media and communications in Australia.

NIMAA was formed in 1993 and was a result of many individual Indigenous people becoming media active. One of the first Indigenous radio programs went to air in 1980-81.

Since that time, Indigenous media and communications usage and participation has grown at a phenomenal rate, in fact being identified by the Australian Government as the "fastest growing sector in Indigenous affairs".

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have secured 11 radio service licenses, two television services (1 commercial and one open narrow cast (free to air but limited range), 1 commercial radio license and 130 + remote community media services.

NIMAA is very interested in the struggles and acheivements of our First Nation, Native or Indigenous peoples in their attempts to establish or maintain media and communications activities.

NIMAA has struggled to be active and provide community input into national and international media initiatives. We have not had much luck in making contact with other groups.

NIMAA will be attending AMARC 7 and will be represented by Tiga Bayles (VP Oceania), Jim Remedio (President of NIMAA) and myself. I look forward to the virtual and physical forums.

A Big Hello and "Na Mirri" (Hello in Yolngu Matha) to Lumko mob. See you in Milan Brother.

Chris Lee
NIMAA
"The Voice of Our People"