Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-3

Re: <amarc-3> Why don't you say hello/salut/hola...?

Hello to Elvira and to all:
Sorry about not introducing myself earlier. I am subscribed to three
strands and still have difficulty in getting things right.
 My name is Jose Antonio Mayobre and I am a Venezuelan communicator
living
in Caracas, where I teach at the School of Mass Communication in the
Universidad Católica Andrés Bello. I teach a freshman course on
"Communication Theory", a fourth year course on "Communication and
Development" and a fifth year course on "International Communication".
Apart from that I run my own research and consultancy outfit called
CIEDESCO (Spanish acronym for International Centre for the Study of
Development and Communication). I have been following silently both this

Forum and the one that just ended on  "The right to communicate...".
Unfortunately for reasons of health I was not able to participate in any

other way but am now able to do so.
 My particular field of expertise is the design of communication
policies
and of the strategic planning required to set them in motion and this,
of
course, has to be done within a clearly defined development context in
each
case. So all of you can imagine how useful a learning experience it is
read your thinking on this matters. Communication and Media are
undergoing
radical and extremely rapid changes that by now - of course - affect all
of
society. We in the field have a major responsibility in ensuring the way

those changes go and how they will shape the future. It is an uphill
task
given the way the communications world has developed in the XX Century
but
that makes our job more  challenging and urgent. Fora like this are an
exceptional means of exchanging ideas, experiences and suggestions.
 As a resident of a relatively small, formerly rich oil country now in
the
process of pauperization due to corruption and innefficiency in
political
arena - which also means a clear and present danger to our democratic
strucutres in the near future -  I think it is crucial to review and
redefine the role of International Intergovernmental Organisations and
of
NGOs in thje fields of communications, development and human rights in
the
inmediate future and how international cooperation can become effective
in
this areas. Ideas once considered sacrosanct such as those of nations,
borders, international law and national sovereignty need careful
scrutiny
in the light of the NCTs and other defelopments but to a lot of us in
the
Third World (which is still alive and kicking if somewhat mauled) they
still remain a first line of defense against the various imperial
designs
which include - as you all know - an insidious infiltration through
culture
and media which makes the use of armies and overt violence generally
unnecessary. How to defend ourselves, our heritage, self-interests and
culture without at the same time sounding paranoid and closing ourselves

from the thinking of others is , I think, one of the first and major
challenges we face and I'll be dammed if I have any idea how to go about

it or where to start. A Declaration seems to be as good a way to start
as any bur it must be followed by a concrete plan of action. I think we
should discuss some more on Rafo's proposal which sounds as very
interesting and feasible.
José Antonio Mayobre
[email protected]
Fax: + 58 2 573 2494