Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-3

<amarc-3> Section I of the Declaration

Hi everyone:

I'm sneaking into the discussion to say thanks to all the participants so
far. I have been quitely observing and am very pleased with the substantial
contributions that have been made towards the development of the Declaration.

I too support the structure proposed by Steve and have taken the lead in
trying to pull together the different elements that will go into the MD.
Based on your inputs so far, I am doing the initial sifting and kneading of
information and will look to you for the ultimate shaping of the document.
I will post each section as it develops begininning with Section I below.
Please send me your feedback -- what can be changed, shortened, added,
deleted, etc...

Ciao,
elvira

		THE MILAN DECLRATION ON COMMUNICATION AND HUMAN RIGHTS

				    DRAFT 1
				AUGUST 12, 1998

We the participants of the 7th World Congress of the World Association of
Community Radio Broadcasters, held in Milan, Italy, August 23-29, 1998 and
with the contribution from AMARC 7 Virtual Forum participants, July
20-August 20, 1998,

Recalling Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which
states that "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression;
this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to
seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media, and
regardless of frontiers",

Supporting the fundamental principles of the UNESCO-sponsored seminars on
promoting independent and pluralistic media which resulted in the
Declarations of Windhoek, Namibia (1991), Alma Ata, Kazakstan (1992),
Santiago, Chile (1994), Sana’a, Yemen (1996) which asserted the
establishment, maintenance and fostering of an independent, pluralistic and
free press is essential to the development and maintenance of democracy in
a nation, and for economic development,

Acknowledging in particular the Declaration of Windhoek, for its importance
as a milestone in the struggle for free, independent and pluralistic print
and broadcast media in all regions of the world. And specifically referring
to the The Declaration of Santiago,

"Recalling the American Convention on Human Rights (Pacto de San José de
Costa Rica),

Recalling General Assembly Resolution 59(I) of 14 December 1946, stating
that freedom of information is a fundamental human right, and General
Assembly Resolution 45/76 A of 11 December 1990 on information in the
service of humanity,

Recalling the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination
against Women",

Recalling Section IV of  the proposed Universal Declaration on Linguistic
Rights (UDLR) -- soon to reach the UN Plenary for adoption -- on
"Communications media and new technologies", in particular Article 35 which
states, "All language communities have the right to decide the extent to
which their language is be present in all the communications media in their
territory...",

And Article 38 which states,
 "The languages and cultures of all language communities must receive
equitable and non-discriminatory treatment in the communications media
throughout the world",

We affirm that everyone has the right to participate in online environments
by extension of Article 27 of the UNESCO Bill of Human Rights which states,
"Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the
community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its
benefits",
"Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material
interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of
which he is the author",

Supporting the fundamental principles of the Peoples Communications Charter
which endorses that communication and information services should be guided
by respect for fundamental human rights, and in the spirit of the public
interest, defines and confirms the rights and responsibilities of those who
broadcast and those who use information,

Acknowledging the Venezuela Declaration on Communication as a Human Right
adopted at the "Seminario Democratizar el Espectro Radioeléctrico" in Pozo
de Rosas, Venezuela, November 11-15,1996,

Regarding the situation in many regions of the world, where there exist
highly developed print and electronic media of which some are known
worldwide, and small and community media with very limited means,

DOES ANYONE WANT TO ADD SOMETHING SPECIFIC ABOUT THEIR REGION?

WE DECLARE THAT:.........(up next)

Elvira Truglia
Editor, InteRadio
World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters
Association Mondiale des Radiodiffuseurs Communautaires
Asociacion Mundial de Radios Comunitarias

International Secretariat
3575 Saint-Laurent Blvd. #611
Montréal, Québec  H2X  2T7   CANADA
Tel : +1 (514) 982 03 51	Fax : +1 (514) 849 71 29
Email: [email protected]
WWW : http://www.amarc.org