Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

Re: <amarc-1> Greetings: Bienvenidos: Bienvenue

Ahoj!

> As each of the opening interventions reminds us, strategy is
> tricky. Rafael echoes the thoughts of many participants in the last
> phase of our discussion: how do we avoid "the risk of developing
> just a dialogue among initiated people"?
>
> To begin with, then, I invite all subscribers to let us know where your
> thinking stands on this question, at this point in the discussion -- along
> with a short re-introduction of yourself.  Onward!

This is Jan Haverkamp. Working for ECONNECT, the Czech member of the
Association for Progressive Communication - which means we are an
Internet Service Provider for Non Governmental Organisations and
others from the civic sector..... slowly becoming a Communication
Service Provider (CommunISP ;-)  - moving away from connectivity to
developing full communication strategies using new media )... I also
work for the APC Promotion of Strategic Use programme and as
organisational management adviser for several environmental, human
rights and women's NGOs. Until two years ago, i worked ten years in
the co-operation between West European and East European
environmental NGOs [before, during and after the political
revolutions in this part of the world], mainly in the field of
organisation and strategy development. I have an education as
environmental scientist and communication psychologist at the
Wageningen Agricultural University in the Netherlands. Age... 38,
male, father of two kids, emigrated from the Netherlands to the Czech
Republic and currently living in Prague.

I think that most of these discussions indeed do defer us from our
real work, which is on the basis, in grass-root organisations, trying
to make a difference to the petty state our world is in... It is for
me the large dilemma we face. The monopolisation of media shows it
for TV and radio: if you want to be heard, you have to work for the
big ones, but then your communication gets bugged. If you
don't want to compromise on your message / opinion, you're
squeezed out of the air (remember the story of AdBusters in group 4
of the conference). If you work using the Internet, the possibilities
seem larger - but it eats away a lot of the time and energy we have -
and still we - as progressive movement - have to be there, to compete
with the other actors in the social field (the big companies,
governments, political forces), who so often plainly lie on this
medium... We have to be there, because more and more people retreive
more and more information - KEY information - from the Net. To strike
the right balance between trying to keep up with the work on the Web
and answering the flood of e-mail everyday on one hand, and on the
other work on realising projects on the ground opposing bad
developments and/or creating sustainable (in all senses)
alternatives.... it's very very hard... I see that i spend too much
time in the meta-world of cyberspace and too little with my hands in
the earth...

Jan Haverkamp
ECONNECT

| Jan Haverkamp
| ECONNECT
| computer network for not-for-profit citizens organizations
| member of the Association for Progressive Communication (APC)
| Ceskomalinska 23
| tel.: +420.2.24311780
| fax:  +420.2.24317892|