Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

Re: <amarc-1> Greetings: Bienvenidos: Bienvenue

>> To begin with, then, I invite all subscribers to let us know where your
>> thinking stands on this question, at this point in the discussion -- along
>> with a short re-introduction of yourself.  Onward!

Hi,

My name is Alexia Parks. I'm  president of Votelink (an electronic
democracy site on the Internet) <http://www.votelink.com> and author of An
American GULAG which describes a private, parent-funded prison system in
the U.S. (also affiliates in Mexico, Western Samoa, Jamaica, Czech, etc.)
called "behavior modification boarding schools" in which teens are denied
the right of direct communication with their families for extended periods
of time.... This online book and discussion forum is linked from the home
page of Votelink.

Votelink is a free speech site on the Internet. We post current news and
political events. We are moving into the arena of online Citizen Dialogs
and public hearings and use straw polls and facilitators to help propell
discussion toward consensus or "next steps." Currently we are hosting
public hearings for the U.S. Dept. of Energy and for a state Dept. of
Transportation.  The focus of Votelink is to create the online means for a
diverse group of people to "think together for the common good." In a
sense, online discussions represent a "snapshot in time" of the Global
Mind. Another term I use is time-compressed decision-making.

I agree that the right to communicate is a vital human right. Where this
fails, there is conflict. Online communications -- from global down to the
neighborhood level -- can help facilitate this right to communicate. This
is the work of Votelink -- My personal work (outside of business) is in
gaining emancipation and/or rights for teens who are denied rights granted
to all U.S. citizens. The question: at what point do parental rights end
and the rights of teens begin -- underlies An American GULAG.