Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-1

RE: <amarc-1> Europe, cyberrights, the EFF and CPSR

Greetings to all of you from San Diego.  I have been a "lurker" on this
group from its inception, so a brief introduction is in order.  I am Mark
Patterson, and have worked for the last 15 years for a software company
devoted to the automation of libraries and the development of electronic
publishing of scientific, technical and medical data.  IMHO, libraries
serve (or should serve) as a vital public access link to information
resources (including those found on the Internet) and can also serve as a
keystone in the successful communication of ideas across multiple
boundaries (political, social, cultural, economic, and so on).  Now, some
comments:

"Mil gracias" to David Casacuberta for distilling for me an essential
difference in the European (and likely elsewhere) view of cyber-rights from
that often heard in the USA.  Can the "free market" provide cyber-rights
without first acknowledging a social contract -- perhaps one protected by
democtratic government(s)?  Can we agree on what that contract includes
(e.g., define social equality and solidarity)?  Is there room for minority
rights in this (there certainly isn't in the free market)?  And how do we
find a social contract for something like the Internet?  Very serious food
for thought, and something I think we all should chew on.

-- Mark Patterson
    [email protected]