Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-3

Re: <amarc-3> Why don't you say hello/salut/hola...? -Reply

Hello,

Apologies for my late start, I have been away the last month and well
off the net. My name is Michael Eisenmenger and I am currently a
professor of visual communications in the visual arts department at
Rutgers University. For the last nine years I have worked in the Paper
Tiger Television Collective in NYC, a non-profit organization of
volunteers that produces programming around issues of media and that
also engages in forms of media activism and advocacy. I also work with a
media activist coalition here in NYC called the New York Free Media
Alliance (NYFMA) which organizes and stages demonstrations for
local and regional media related issues. Recently NYFMA has been
involved in supporting Micropower radio here in the U.S. and more
specifically one of our local radio stations. Of possible interest to
this group may be the legal brief filed by 'Free Speech' against the FCC
on behalf of local micropower radio broadcasters. The brief provides an
excellent synopsis of the ills inherent to U.S. radio broadcasting
history and the reasons why we need a major communication legislative
overhaul to ensure that community needs are met via frequency
allocations (see -
http://artcon.rutgers.edu/papertiger/nyfma/str/lawsuit.html) .

My congratulations to AMARC for launching this virtual conference and
for linking it to the previous one by Videazimut, which I thought was a
very useful tool for beginning and hopefully continuing these
discussions. Additionally, I have always found the AMARC listserv an
invaluable resource for international news.

Elvira poses many questions concerning a successful implementation of
the principles contained in the Milan Charter. I unfortunately have no
easy answers, nor do I feel there are single solutions applicable to all
peoples and countries. While the need for an international charter is
recognized by all of us, the process of organizing for and implementing
such a policy goal will necessarily be diverse in respect to particular
cultural, local and regional needs in addition to surmounting various
governmental and legislative obstacles unique to each country. A single
international document is useful and necessary for us to mount a unified
movement (such as the People's Communication Charter), but putting these
ideas into action may require more localized and  strategic efforts,
like the 'Agenda for Action' put forth by the Cultural Environment
Movement for activism in the U.S. So, I agree with Jose and Lumko, we
need to focus on a plan of action, one that we can implement together on
an international level in addition to a myriad of shared strategies that
are more applicable to local problem solving. I also feel strongly that
we need to track transnational corporations and launch international
activist efforts to raise consciousness about the increasing control
these entities have over our communications future. As nation states
yield more and more control of their infrastructure to TNC's, it's clear
that our strategies must be redirected toward these roving corporate
bandits.

I hope that discussions and forums like this continue so that we can
share strategies and support one another's efforts. On that note, at
Paper Tiger TV we are still at work on a video series about
international communications with a specific focus on ways community
media is used in community development and organizing. We would be eager
to see and hear about your organization's efforts and struggles in using
media in these ways. We hope the series will highlight some significant
efforts and help serve as an organizing tool for those of us working to
democratize communications. Please contact me if you are interested in
participating in any way.

sincerely,

Michael Eisenmenger

Paper Tiger Television
339 Lafayette Street                       fax: (212) 420-8223
New York, NY 10012                     email: [email protected]
phone: (212) 420-9045           web: http://www.papertiger.org
Paper Tiger TV is a non-profit volunteer collective that has
been pioneering media criticism through video since 1981. The
diverse series of over 260 programs addresses issues of demo-
cratic communications, media representation and the economics
of the information industry. The tapes are broadcast in NYC
and across the U.S. The tapes are also distributed by PTTV
to universities, libraries, and media art centers worldwide.