Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Seventh World Conference of Community Radio Broadcasters
Milan, 23-29 August 1998
Main | Activities | Local information | Register now! | Virtual Forum | Other links

Septième Assemblée mondiale des radiodiffuseurs communautaires
Milan, 23-29 août 1998
Index | Activités | Information locale | Registrez ici | Forum Virtuel | Autres liens

Séptima Asamblea Mundial de Radios Comunitarias
Milan, 23-29 de Agosto 1998
Indice | Actividades | Información local | Regístrense Ahora! | El Foro Virtual | Otros enlaces

amarc-4

<amarc-4> Re: Virtual Forum - SA part 1

Dear all,

On the issue of Community Radio's use of NICTs, I would like to submit a
piece of information from AMARC members in South Africa. As the lenght of
this contribution exceeds the 500 words limit, I'm sending it in parts...
I did not write it myself and can't edit it by the end of the week on this
topic. Apologies... et desolee de ne pas pouvoir traduire en francais cette
contribution pourtant fort interessante, faute de temps.

Ciao!

Marie-Helene Bonin
AMARC Regional coordinator for Africa

NATIONAL COMMUNITY RADIO FORUM / CENTRE FOR DEMOCRATIC COMMUNICATIONS:
SOUTH AFRICAN COMMUNITY RADIO INFORMATION NETWORK (SACRIN)

THE SACRIN PROJECT
In South Africa, NCRF and CDC have developed a project called South African
Community Radio Information Network (SACRIN) which will primarily put the
necessary communication infrastructures in place for community broadcasters
to begin sharing information and programs, through satellite and the
Internet. We have already set-up a satellite infrastructure (transmission
studio and up-link facilities) at our head offices and receiving facilities
at 21 NCRF affiliate stations' sites.

SACRIN is essentially operating in two different formats. Firstly we have
linked community radio initiatives on e-mail and Internet, and then we have
linked stations to the satellite network for program exchanges with other
stations .

MISSION
SACRIN is geared towards providing quality programs and services in the
information technology field to our member stations. The objective is to meet
their needs through the application of proper systems and display of
transparency, accountability and reliability. In so doing SACRIN is committed
to providing a challenging and rewarding environment for our member stations
and in return our communities.